Wednesday, July 30, 2008

16th Street Baptist Church

The next to last day of our trip was spent in Birmingham.  We started off in Kelly Ingram Park which sets on the opposite corner of the street from the 16th Street Baptist Church pictured above.  I put my music in my ears as we walked around the park and church.  I didn't want to engage in conversation.  I just wanted to think about those 4 little girls who lost their life at that church.  Those 4 innocent lives who had nothing to do with the hatred that existed in that place.  

Later we went through the Civil Rights Museum of Birmingham.  What a place!  I thought that we had seen the best Civil Rights Memorial yesterday, but this one was the best as far as facts go.  It details the history of Blacks and Whites in Alabama and compares it to the rest of the Nation through timelines.  There are visual displays that are absolutely magnificent.  For example, when comparing the "separate but equal" nation that America pretended to have--they compared infant mortality rate, blue and white collar jobs, dollars spent on students, pupils in a classroom, etc.  Instead of just giving statistics, they had visual displays.  Crosses that stood for those percentages of infant mortality rates.  Blue and White shirts that measured those jobs like a bar graph, and a stack of books to represent that amount of money spent on black students and white students.  It was clear to see the disparities through these exhibits.  The museum also has several movies to watch about different parts of the Movement.  When Owen, one of our trip leaders, told us that we had 2 hours in the Museum, I thought that that would be more than enough time and when I finished I would go into the 16th Street Baptist Church for a tour and to see the memorial for the 4 girls.  Well. . .  2 hours was barely enough time for me to get around the entire museum.  I had to skip the last 2 exhibits so I could hit up the gift shop.  

At the gift shop I purchased a sign to go in the foyer of my townhouse.  It says "Colored Entrance"  I asked the white people in the store with me if they would be offended if they came into my house and saw that sign and they said that they wouldn't.  I thought maybe others who came into my house wouldn't understand why I had it there.  I think if folks ask then that will be a wonderful time for me to explain that I am remembering my past.  I won't be able to go by that sign without thinking about the freedoms that were fought for me.

We then got on the bus for our 4 hour ride to Memphis.  So far Memphis has been about relaxing a bit and playing.  We went down to Beale Street where we had ribs and BBKing and Karaoke.  What a lovely way to end the evening.  I liked the ribs the best because the waiter after being very rude to us (in the most loving way, he was really funny) proposed to me.  So I've got a fiance in Memphis.  Never mind that he is older than my daddy. . .he still wants to marry me.  I think it's because I wore mascara tonight, because I managed to get us a discount getting into the BBKing joint as well.  Go figure.  Every night before we turn in, we debrief about our day.  Today's debriefing was my favorite.  Much needed relaxation and fun after a very emotionally draining few days.  

Now tomorrow.  The Lorraine Motel where Dr. King was shot.  Get out the tissues again.


1 comment:

Tina Bessias said...
This comment has been removed by the author.