Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth

This is Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth.  He is a Civil Rights activist in Birmingham.  His story is remarkable.  His house was bombed as he lay in bed one night. He was beaten by an angry mob very badly for trying to register his kids into an all White school, he organized marches and events during the Movement.  My favorite story is how he was hung upside down in jail when he was arrested.  While upside down, he managed somehow to write the words "Segregation is a sin" on the wall of the jail cell.  Because of this, he said, I wasn't afraid of their jail.  There is a monument in the Kelly Ingram park that depicts this event.  A nice gentleman in the park explained that to me.  He also pointed out that the tree that is planted behind the 16th Street Baptist church after the girls died has four branches that reach towards the sky.  Coincidence.  I don't think so.

I was shocked to find out about Rev. Shuttlesworth.  It seems to get much recognition as a Civil Rights Activist you have to have been killed.  A goal for myself is to learn more about and teach about the lesser know activists like Rev. Shuttlesworth.

No comments: