Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"Doc" Frank Adams

While in Birmingham, we stopped at the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame and one of the hall of famers took us around to the exhibits.  He was a wonderful resource of information, full of stories and energy.  He told us at one point if we couldn't walk up the steps with him then we could take the elevator. . .well, we who could get on the elevator at that point???  He played with Duke Ellington and other well known Jazz Musicians.  Since I don't know Jazz that well, I didn't know much about the other people that he played with, but it was a load of fun just being with him.  Seemingly, this stop didn't have much to do with Civil Rights. . .however, hearing his success story during a time of such racial discrimination in the South (especially Birmingham!) was remarkable and uplifting.  And hearing him play his clarinet.  Wow.  I loved the story that he shared with us about how he "found" jazz by hitting a blue note by accident.  I had the same feeling when I was teaching myself play the guitar and my finger slipped on the strings and gave me a wonderfully different sound.  I guess I found jazz on my guitar!

Doc. . . what a gem.

No comments: