Saturday, July 26, 2008

The beginning of our journey.

Getting started on our adventure. We boarded the bus at Durham Academy this morning heading towards Atlanta where we will tour Morehouse College, the King Center.  This will be my third visit to the King Center in less than a year but I'm still excited because there is so much to learn there. This morning we briefly introduced ourselves and the bus driver asked if someone would lead us in prayer. I guess God raised my hand because the next thing I knew I was at the front of the bus on a microphone praying a short prayer that asked God for safety and transformation. Transformation.
There's that word again. That's truly what this summer has been about for me and here is another adventure to add to the list of transformative events that have happened to me in Summer '08.

Now I'm going to try and post this on my blog from my iPhone which is what my mac genius and I worked on this week. Here we go!!!


Later. . .

Now I am in my hotel room editing my post from earlier today.  I could just wait and do the posting when we are in the hotel at night, but there is something that I like about doing it from the road that makes it more like a real "travel blog" to me.  I also need to get some rest tonight.  We had a very full day today and tomorrow will be even moreso.  We start with a 7:45 church service at Ebenezer Baptist Church where MLK preached.  His sister still attends the church.  The church has been rebuilt, but to be in the place. . .I'm over the moon about it.  

I am enjoying getting to know the teachers from the other schools.  There is one other from CFS and about a couple from St. Mary's in Raleigh and the rest are from DA.  Everyone seems very nice and geniunely excited and happy to be on this adventure.  I have shared with some that I would be creating this blog.  I plan to share with more since I will be using their pictures on the internet, I want to make sure that it is okay.  

What I am most excited about this trip is the opportunity to experience these sights with adults.  To talk about them.  To understand that the past is not really the past.  One of the leaders on the bus today referred to a quote that Obama used in a speech recently which he borrowed from Faulkner (I think).  The quote says something about the past not really being the past, but part of the present.  Our leader asked us to think about that as we experience this trip. 

When I am a little more rested I'll write more about Morehouse and the special King exhibit that we saw today.  But right now, rest is necessary.

Note:  When I send the posts from my iPhone, the spacing will be funky, but the content is there so enjoy!  I will come and edit as necessary when I have access to my computer and wi-fi.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Toni, I just want to say thank you for this wonderful blog! Having a chance to look back on our trip is wonderful! I am glad we have met and I hope we have other journeys together in the future.